Thursday, August 6, 2009

Data investigation in summer holiday.

The people in Japan are in the mood of holiday, I think. It is a time for many festivals and fireworks. But, I just came back with files of data to analyze. I really want to see hanabi (fireworks) but I think I have to skip it again for this year. I see some trees start turn to red and I wonder why, because it is still in summer. I like the scenery of autumn but I like summer more. Feel like in Malaysia.

Well, I want to write about a lot of things but seem that I don’t have enough fingers to work with me. Today entry is more about my work for these few days after I came back to Japan.

I am in a stage of describing and investigating my data. Before I can use it into AMOS, I have to assure that all the variables are fit with normal distribution curve bell or else it might be affecting my analysis. But the AMOS program that I used in school don’t has the summary of normality test like has been stated in books or notes. I wonder why. I am using the AMOS Basic version 5, and the part for testing the normality and outliers is also there.

However, I think it is ok because I can examine the normal distribution with SPSS. The normal distribution can be checked through the critical ratio of Skewness and Kurtosis. It is suppose to be in range of positive to negative 2.58 for each variable and also for the sum of variables (multivariate). If the data is non-normal then, have to check either there is any outlier and delete the strange data before test the bell curve once again.

About more than 50% of my respondents are in the range of 15 to 25 years old motorcyclists. When I take out the older respondents from the analysis, it shows that attitude has played the role to influence their behaviours.

I want to write about the content of my discussion with the director of MIROS last month, but maybe I will write it later. I am now learning how to interpret the numbers in AMOS output. I feel relief now, because I already have data and it is time for me to write the papers and go to some conferences. I have to make it fast!

Happy summer!

No comments: